Looking for a simple, gluten-free appetizer recipe? These bacon-wrapped dates have a crisp salty exterior, and a sweet interior stuffed with creamy havarti cheese and savory green onions.
It’s important to use moist dates, such as medjool dates, for this recipe. I also think it’s best to use a good havarti cheese, such as Saputo Havarti Natural Cheese Slices.
Overall, the recipe is pretty straightforward. Stuff the dates, wrap them with bacon, and bake for 20 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and fully cooked. Here’s a photo of what the dates look like after they are stuffed with havarti cheese and green onion.
The Bacon-Wrapped Dates With Green Onion and Havarti Cheese recipe is listed below.
What is your favorite bacon dish? Share your thoughts with me in the comments section below.
- 16 four-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 16 thin slices of smoked bacon, 3-inches long and 1.5-inches wide
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 thin slice of havarti cheese, 4-inches long and 4-inches wide, chopped (I recommend Saputo Havarti Natural Cheese Slices)
- 16 moist fresh dates, pitted
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Stuff dates with havarti cheese, and green onion.
- Tightly wrap a slice of bacon around the width of each date. Push a skewer through each date to secure the bacon slice to the date.
- Place bacon-wrapped dates on prepared baking sheet, and bake for approximately 20 minutes, turning them over at the 10 minute mark. The bacon should be crispy and completely cooked.
- Allow to cool for one minute on the baking sheet. Transfer the dates to a plate lined with paper towels. Cut off any dark cheese that may have oozed out of the dates.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with the chopped green onion, and serve immediately.
Recipe, photo, and post by Maria Perugini of MariaTiramisu.com.
To share this recipe on your website, simply rewrite the instructions in your own words, and provide credit with a link to this post. Please mention whether your recipe is "adapted from," or "inspired by" my recipe. The material in this post and website may not be distributed, reproduced, republished, transmitted, or cached, except with the prior written permission of Maria Perugini. Please email Maria at email@example.com. Copyright © 2014-2015 Maria Perugini & MariaTiramisu.com.
Share your food photos with me:
Use the hashtag #MariaTiramisu, and follow me @MariaTiramisu on Instagram, and @MariaTiramisuCA on Twitter.