Here’s a quick, and delicious filling for layer cakes… Say hello to my Strawberry Lemon Filling recipe, including fresh strawberries and tangy lemon juice.
I love the deep pink color of this filling, perfect for Spring celebrations, Easter celebrations, Valentine’s Day celebrations, bridal showers, and birthday parties.
This preserve-like filling has a fresh and sweet strawberry flavor, with a touch of tanginess from lemon juice. I usually spread it in between vanilla and lemon cake layers, or serve it with angel food cake, pound cake, shortcakes, and cream scones. It’s also a great topping for cupcakes and mini cupcakes. Sometimes, I’ll add a dollop of sweetened whipped cream on top of the cupcakes for a richer dessert.
The Strawberry Lemon Filling recipe is listed below. I hope you enjoy it.
What are your favorite Spring flavors? Share your thoughts with me in the comments section below.
- 7 tablespoons white granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup white all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- ¼ cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of sugar, flour, and cornstarch in a medium heat-proof glass bowl. Set aside.
- Stir strawberries, water, lemon juice, and 5 tablespoons of sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir mixture with a rubber spatula over medium heat for 6 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Whisk the strawberry mixture into the flour mixture, until the flour mixture is well incorporated. *See note below for a thicker filling.
- Cover the top of the mixture with plastic wrap, and chill for 3 hours.
Recipe, photo, and post by Maria Perugini of MariaTiramisu.com.
To share this recipe on your website, simply rewrite the instructions in your own words, and provide credit with a link to this post. Please mention whether your recipe is "adapted from," or "inspired by" my recipe. The material in this post and website may not be distributed, reproduced, republished, transmitted, or cached, except with the prior written permission of Maria Perugini. Please email Maria at email@example.com. Copyright © 2014-2015 Maria Perugini & MariaTiramisu.com.
Share your food photos with me:
Use the hashtag #MariaTiramisu, and follow me @MariaTiramisu on Instagram, and @MariaTiramisuCA on Twitter.