Impress your sweetheart, or simply treat yourself with these creamy and decadent Chocolate Mousse and Brownie Cakes – the perfect dessert for Valentine’s day, or an elegant dinner party.
This comforting dish combines a chocolate custard with an airy whipped cream, a brownie bottom, and decorative chocolate touches.
I don’t know about you, but we’ve been dealing with ice storms and -30 Celsius weather here in Montreal this past week…the kind of cold that takes your breath away. It literally took me 20 minutes to walk across two ice-covered streets last night. Ah, the joys of winter. Luckily, I had some chocolate mousse waiting for me when I got home, and all of my stress melted away.
Tip: The chocolate collars and the chocolate garnish are rather delicate, so make sure to carefully remove them from the parchment paper. If you’re in a hurry, skip the brownie and chocolate collar entirely, and simply serve the chocolate mousse in martini glasses.
The Chocolate Mousse and Brownie Cakes recipe is listed below. Store in an air-tight container up to 4 days.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose white flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 standard-sized AERO milk chocolate bar, finely chopped (1.4 ounces)
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, finely chopped
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 1½ cups whipping cream (35% fat)
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease six 7-ounce ramekins with 2 tablespoons of softened butter.
- Stir the cocoa powder and oil in a medium bowl with a rubber spatula. Stir in the sugar until smooth. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour and salt, scrapping down the sides of the bowl to incorporate all of the flour into the mixture. Add the finely chopped Aero chocolate, and semi-sweet chocolate. Mix well.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared ramekins. Use the back of a tablespoon to even out the surface of the mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of the brownies, and allow to cool for 1 hour before removing from ramekins. The brownies can be stored at room temperature in a large Ziploc bag or an air-tight container.
- Transfer the brownie cakes to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut six 13-inch-by-4-inch strips of parchment paper. Use the melted chocolate to pipe swirly patterns onto each parchment paper strip, making sure to only cover 12x4-inches of each strip with chocolate. Allow chocolate to set for 5 minutes.
- Wrap a chocolate-covered collar around the base of each brownie cake, making sure the bottom is flush with the baking sheet. Use tape to secure each collar. Transfer the baking sheet to the refrigerator to chill.
- Pour 1½ cups of whipping cream into a large bowl. Use a handheld electric mixer with a whisk attachment to beat the whipping cream for 4 minutes on medium-high speed. Refrigerate the whipped cream for 1 to 2 hours.
- Beat 4 egg yolks in a medium bowl for 4 minutes on high speed.
- Whisk the granulated sugar, water, and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Remove saucepan from heat once large, clear bubbles begin to form.
- Pour the syrup down the side of the bowl containing the egg yolks while whisking the egg mixture. Mix on high speed for 5 minutes. Stir in melted semi-sweet chocolate, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Whisk half of the chocolate mixture into the chilled whipped cream. Whisk the remaining chocolate mixture into the whipped cream until well combined.
- Pipe (or spoon) chocolate mousse on top of the individual brownie cakes. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- While the mousse is chilling, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use the melted chocolate to pipe decorative designs onto the parchment paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour to set.
- Assemble the Mousse and Brownie Cakes:
- Carefully remove the brownies from the refrigerator, and set aside for 5 minutes. Remove the parchment paper strips surrounding the brownies, and top with decorative chocolate garnish, if desired.
Recipe, photo, and post by Maria Perugini of MariaTiramisu.com.
To share this recipe on your website, simply rewrite the instructions in your own words, and provide credit with a link to this post. Please mention whether your recipe is "adapted from," or "inspired by" my recipe. The material in this post and website may not be distributed, reproduced, republished, transmitted, or cached, except with the prior written permission of Maria Perugini. Please email Maria at firstname.lastname@example.org. Copyright © 2014-2015 Maria Perugini & MariaTiramisu.com.
Share your food photos with me:
Use the hashtag #MariaTiramisu, and follow me @MariaTiramisu on Instagram, and @MariaTiramisuCA on Twitter.