Here’s a little piece of heaven…
This rich and dense cake features a creamy classic cheesecake layered on top of a moist brownie bottom. A generous layer of Nutella hazelnut chocolate spread separates the layers, and adheres the Cadbury Caramilk chocolate bar pieces to the side of the cake. The cake is topped with caramel and strawberries, and wrapped with a red satin ribbon. It’s the perfect gift for someone you really care about, and well worth the effort. It’s a beauty.
The flavors of this cake take me back to my childhood, and all of the sweet memories I shared with my grandfather during a much simpler time. Nutella has that effect on me. And it truly does make everything better.
This is one of my all-time favorite recipes, and I am so happy to share it with you today. The complete recipe is listed below.
What’s your favorite cheesecake flavor? Let me know in the comments section below.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose white flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 standard-sized AERO chocolate bar, finely chopped (1.4 ounces)
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1½ cups fine Oreo Baking Crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 packages of original Philadelphia brick cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup sour cream (14% fat)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large pot of boiling hot water (for the Bain Marie)
- 1 cup caramel syrup
- 2.5 cups Nutella hazelnut chocolate spread, divided
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half vertically
- 8 standard-sized Cadbury Caramilk chocolate bars (1.8 ounces each)
- Red satin ribbon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch silver-colored non-stick springform pan with a parchment paper circle. Generously butter the bottom and sides of the pan with 2 tablespoons of softened butter.
- Stir the cocoa powder and oil in a medium bowl with a rubber spatula. Stir in the sugar until smooth. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour and salt, scrapping down the sides of the bowl to incorporate all of the flour into the mixture. Add the finely chopped Aero chocolate, and semi-sweet chocolate. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared pan. Use the back of a tablespoon to even out the surface of the mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the side of the brownie, and let cool for 1 hour before removing from pan. Do not remove the parchment paper circle. Store the brownie at room temperature in a large Ziploc bag, or an air-tight container.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line the bottom of a 9-inch silver-colored non-stick springform pan with a parchment paper circle.
- Generously butter the sides and bottom of the pan with 2 tablespoons of softened butter. Mix Oreo baking crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Press mixture firmly onto the bottom of the springform pan.
- Wrap the exterior of the pan (bottom and sides) with 2 layers of aluminum foil, and set aside.
- Place softened cream cheese, sugar, and flour in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture is smooth, and the sugar is completely incorporated. Add sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Pour over crust, but do not fill the pan to the top; leave approximately 1 inch of space between the top of the filling and the top of the pan. Tap the pan on your counter top to allow any bubbles in the cream cheese filling to rise up.
- Create a Bain Marie (water bath): Place the aluminum foil-wrapped springform pan in a 14-inch by 10-inch roasting pan. Pour hot water in the roasting pan and around the springform pan until the water level is about half way up the side of the springform pan. This water bath will keep the cake moist, and help to prevent cracking while baking.
- Place the roasting pan in the 325 degree Fahrenheit heated oven, and bake for 55 minutes. Cool at least 1 hour on a cooling grid. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Run a knife around the side of the cheesecake. Open the springform pan, but let the cake rest on the base of the pan.
- Place brownie bottom on cake holder. Spread 1 cup of Nutella on top of brownie.
- Using a large cake lifter, gently lift and slide the cheesecake on top of the Nutella, making sure you do not include the parchment paper circle. Spread the remaining 1.5 cups of Nutella around the side of the cake.
- Cut the Caramilk bars into smaller squares with smooth edges. Press the cut Caramilk squares against the side of the cake to cover all of the Nutella. The cake is about 3 squares high.
- Spread an even layer of caramel syrup on top of the cake. Top the cake with strawberries. Attach a red ribbon around the cake, and chill in a refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
To share this recipe on your website, simply rewrite the instructions in your own words, and provide credit with a link to this post. Please mention whether your recipe is "adapted from," or "inspired by" my recipe. The material in this post and website may not be distributed, reproduced, republished, transmitted, or cached, except with the prior written permission of Maria Perugini. Please email Maria at firstname.lastname@example.org. Copyright © 2014-2015 Maria Perugini & MariaTiramisu.com.
Share your food photos with me:
Use the hashtag #MariaTiramisu, and follow me @MariaTiramisu on Instagram, and @MariaTiramisuCA on Twitter.